baby development

Jun 4, 2007

FAKE MEASLES

I had fake measles (or Roseola as it's medical term) for the 1st time in my life!!

On Saturday, Mummy saw me looking very strange & kept staring into space. Mummy thought it's the cough syrup that she gave me earlier that's making me drowsy..so she quickly put me to sleep. I slept from 1pm till 5pm.

When I woke up, I felt feverish. Mummy took my temperature & it measured 38.5 degree. Mummy then gave me some fever medicine & apply cool pad on my forehead. Although I still felt unwell, I can still play & crawl around.

Then at night, my temperature increased till 39.5 degree. Mummy was very worried & tried to carry me to her bed to sleep so that she can watch over me at night. However, the moment my head touched her bed, I woke up & refused to go back to sleep. I kept wanting to climb up the headboard & touched the patterns on the wall. Mummy tried rocking & carrying me to sleep, but to no avail.

Finally fed-up, mummy put me back to my cot & I immediately fell asleep. Mummy then slept in the nursery room with me for the night.

Sunday morning I woke up with 39 degree & mummy continue to feed me fever medicine. However by 11am, my fever drop & my temperature hover around 37.2 degree. This continued through out the whole day.

Then on Monday, mummy noticed my face breaking out in rashes. It was very fade & not very noticeable. However on Tuesday, the rashes spread to my tummy & back. After taking a warm bath or when I was feeling warm, the rashes will become more prominent.


Rashes on my face...

Mummy's friends told her it false measles & there's basically no medicine to treat it. The rashes will go away on its own, so mummy didn't bring me to see doc. She just applied some calamine lotion on my body.

On Wednesday, the rashes became more serious & spread to the whole body, behind the ears, neck & elbows. However, I still play & crawl as usual. But my milk & food intake has dropped drastically due to my poor appetite. I only drank 3oz of milk per feeding & mummy stopped cooking porridge for me.

But I kept waking up in the middle of the night for milk..Hmm...cos I didn't drank enough during the day.

On Thursday, the rashes suddenly diminished & not very obvious. And on Friday, there's not even a trace of the rashes...no scars..or anything.

Auntie Geri managed to get some information abt false measles on the net. Here's what it says...

What is roseola?Roseola is a sudden, mild viral illness of short duration that affects young children.
Roseola is most common in children 6 to 24 months of age (a half year to 2 years of age). The average age of children with roseola is around 9 months.
Roseola is caused by a virus called human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) and, possibly, human herpesvirus 7 (HHV-7).
Roseola is a sudden, mild viral illness of short duration that affects young children. Roseola is most common in children 6 to 24 months of age (a half year to 2 years of age). The average age of children with roseola is around 9 months.

Roseola is spread from person to person, but it is not known how. Roseola is not very contagious.

Yes. The high fever of roseola may trigger a seizure (a convulsion). Febrile seizures (convulsions due to fever) are common in children between 18 months to 3 years of age. They occur in 5% to 35% of children with roseola.
No. The seizure may look very frightening but it is usually quite harmless (benign). Febrile seizures are not associated with long-term nervous system side effects or brain damage.

Yes, but not in the beginning. When the fever disappears, a rash appears. The rash is mainly located on the neck and body, especially, the abdomen, trunk, and back but it can also be on the arms and legs (extremities). The rash appears as separate little raised dots (papules) or as a flat (macular) rash.
What is most striking is that the child seems so well despite having a high fever.
The fever of roseola lasts 3-5 days followed by a rash lasting about 1-2 days. Roseola usually resolves without any treatment.
Complications are rare with roseola except in children with suppressed immune systems.
extracted from medicinet.com

No comments: